Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Two Cents & Five Questions With...

... Teddy Margas, Stand-up Comic

Teddy describes himself on his blog as "a struggling actor/comic/celebrant who wants to be famous so badly he can't watch the Golden Globes anymore."

He recently took some time away from his quest for fame to give us his Two Cents & Five Answers! Enjoy!!

Two Cents: Please tell the Two Cents readers about yourself a how you got your start doing comedy.
Teddy Margas: I never thought I’d be doing comedy. I always knew I was funny. I used to “crack up” my family at the dinner table. This is where I realized the power of making someone laugh, but I never thought it could be a career. I actually went to school for film & theatre. I moved to Los Angeles in search of fame & fortune and became creatively stunted. Besides it wasn’t like they were knocking down my door to direct or star in a movie. Auditioning is so boring and it takes so much out of you. I had to find a way to uplift my spirit. A friend suggested comedy. I didn’t think I could do it. I came up with a few funny stories and tried them out at a Laundromat in Hollywood that had a comedy night. That was weird but I got a great response. So I kept it up and started doing the comedy nights at various clubs. Before you knew it I was working at the Comedy Store and the Improv.

TC: You've been seen on E! Can you tell us a little about that experience?
TM: I worked on one of those shows that had comedians comment on various subjects; it’s sort of like the E! True Hollywood Story but with funny commentary here and there. I ragged on Lindsay Lohan, Paris Hilton & Nicole Ritchie. I was a little nervous they would see it and hate me. I’ve never heard from them, so I guess we’re cool.

TC: If you could play one famous character from past movies, which would you love to play?
TG: I love the character of Ousier from Steel Magnolia’s. I think as far as comedy goes Shirley nailed it with that character. I know she’s a woman but I’ve always related to female characters as well as female comedians. Let’s not forget Holly Golightly from Breakfast at Tiffany’s, but I’d have to diet to do that role so forget it.

TC: What fun websites do you visit for your own entertainment?
TG: I LOVE reading my own blog. www.teddy-m.blogspot.com I am an avid reader of Rosie O’Donnell’s blog as well as Ross the Intern from the Tonight Show.

TC: What new projects do you have coming up?
TG: I just joined a trio of comedians and we call ourselves “The Queers of Comedy”. I love these guys. Our plan is to tour the country with our show and film the entire thing for a documentary. It’s kind of like “Priscilla, Queen of the Desert” meets “The Queens of Comedy” meets “The View” all wrapped in genoa salami. Delicious! We do a segment in the show called “The QView” and it’s a Queer’s view on what’s happening today in and around our world. I think it’s genius.

*Two Cents Bonus Question*
TC: If someone were to climb off a desert island and only have time to watch five movies to learn what American cinema is all about, what five movies would you show them?
TG: Carrie (the 70’s version, NOT the re-make), JAWS (this movie changed my life and how I swim), Trip to Bountiful (Geraldine Page’s well-deserved Oscar winning performance), The Exorcist (scared the sh*t out of me), The King of Comedy (an amazing film about how far one will go for fame), The Color Purple (“Carrie” is not a long film, so we’d have time for one more).

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the link suggestion. I checked out Rosie's blog and found a good lead for work!

    ReplyDelete

TheTwoCents Comments Policy